Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Polar Bear Story

In case you haven't heard, its been about a month since i caught my first polar bear.

Take that greenpeace! hahaha.

For many years i have been wanting to catch my first polar bear, been wanting to hunt them all my life. and that opportunity finally came on November 18, 2011, around 10 in the morning. When we first saw the bear, it was in the water and we had to herd it to land. if that makes sense? in inuktitut, i would say "unguujujavut nunamut."

let me tell you, or try to tell you how proud i was. after reading this post, you can call me Mr. Upiqqak

In my family, i am known to be proud after the first catch of an animal, not matter what it is. my father likes to tell the story of when i caught my first caribou and how i was already laughing even before i shot the caribou. so when we were bringing it to land, he told the story quickly.

people say that they start shaking before their first polar bear but i was way too excited that all i could think of was, ok, this is my day, thank god for this.

when i shot it, i just yelled woohoo. actually i yelled woohoo a bunch of time. i hugged my father a biggest hug i could think of and he was the first person i thanked. then my brother. i thanked him too. when we were skinning it, i promise you, i have never seen a more fatter polar bear than that. it was so fat. during the cut up, i was thinking of all the people i will pajuk, which in english, their is no equivalent word to, which broadly means people i will bring meat to.

i smiled that day so much, my cheeks were sore. i felt good that day. my father would say aakkuluk once in a while. he would say that he knows i am happy.

the strange thing is, the night before when my father called me, i told Annie, "I'm going to catch a polar bear tomorrow." and just 12 hours after that, my words became true. i tell you, it was a gift from God. i had been wanting to catch one for so long, that it really did feel like a gift. it was a gift, i know it. i believe it.

half hour after shooting it, i prayed standing up in the boat. even if it was to myself, i prayed and thanked everything that needed to be thanked, especially God for the opportunity.

for the next two weeks, i reminded everyone that i caught a polar bear. i reminded my family everyday. i reminded my girlfriend everyday. i joked about it everyday. the scar i have on my thumb, i would say that the polar bear swiped at me and nicked my thumb and thats how i got my scar. i joked that the hamlet of Pang has discontinued the polar bear season because my polar bear was just too awesome.

and to polar bear conservationist, i say, you don't know the first thing to what you have stopped. i was even thinking that all young people should be allowed at the age of 18, to kill their first catch because their self esteem will sky rocket. i am a new man and its all due to my first catch. i am a new man because its something i have wanted for so long and i have it now.

it feels great.

3 comments:

jen said...

Congratulations Tommy, that's awesome!

oakleyses said...

christian louboutin shoes, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade handbags, coach outlet, true religion, nike shoes, michael kors outlet store, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, coach purses, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet store online, coach outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, burberry outlet online, louis vuitton, red bottom shoes, christian louboutin outlet, burberry outlet online, longchamp outlet, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, nike free, oakley vault, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet online, kate spade outlet online, ray ban outlet, chanel handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, prada outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, louis vuitton outlet online, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike air max, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet online, gucci handbags, polo ralph lauren

oakleyses said...

timberland shoes, ugg, ralph lauren, supra shoes, wedding dress, parajumpers outlet, uggs canada, louboutin, converse, moncler, vans, canada goose, lancel, toms outlet, coach outlet, hollister canada, moncler, links of london uk, moncler outlet, swarovski jewelry, pandora uk, juicy couture outlet, karen millen, iphone 6 case, pandora charms, canada goose uk, hollister clothing, nike air max, ray ban, air max, gucci, montre femme, thomas sabo uk, canada goose, baseball bats, hollister, moncler, louis vuitton canada, pandora jewelry, canada goose pas cher, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, replica watches, swarovski uk, oakley, moncler, converse shoes